Saturday, February 25, 2012

The passing of my grandma

Mary Jean Harmony Kenyon (nee Marsh)
1929 - 2012


My grandma passed away peacefully on Friday evening. The news was not a shock because she's been very ill for several years now. Rather, as my uncle Glynn put it, it was a 'merciful release'.

My grandma was 82 years old so she had gone pretty far in life. Now I have no grandparents alive. She was my last living grandparent - now that makes me realize I'm getting older!

I am living 7,000 miles away from England so it has been rather weird going through this so far away. Sometimes I wish I could be there with her during the final moments of her life.

My siblings and I used to go shopping every Saturday morning with my grandma, and then off to her house to play in the afternoon. It was a weekly time we always looked forward to and really loved as younger children. She let us watch WWF wrestling videos, wreak havoc in her house by using all sorts of blankets and chairs to make tents and dens, and even play table tennis with us across the kitchen table!

We went on short holidays with her to Hunstanton and Skegness and had such great times. I am amazed at her energy in looking after and occupying us 3 young, energetic children!

I'm sure my mum won't mind me using this lovely photo of my grandma taken in 1949 when she was a spritely 20 years of age.



To her children, my mum, Wendy, Steven, Glynn and Edrick (apologies if the spelling of some names are wrong), I send my condolences and best wishes in getting through this difficult time.

I find great comfort in the verses of scripture concerning death, which, as a Christian, brings such hope:

"the spirits of all..., as soon as they are departed from this mortal body,...whether they be good or evil, are taken home to that God who gave them life. And then shall it come to pass, that the spirits of those who are righteous are received into a state of happiness, which is called paradise, a state of rest, a state of peace, where they shall rest from all their troubles and from all care, and sorrow."

"...I am the resurrection and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live. And whosoever liveth and believeth in me shall never die."



So rest on grandma, sleep well, we'll see you again when you awake.


15 comments:

  1. Thank you for this lovely tribute to my Mum. She was the best Mum and Grandma. Her's was your second home. I cross stitched her a picture with the wording "There's no place like home-except Grandma's". You were all so happy and loved there. Precious, happy memories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Condolences to you and your family honey. I am glad I was able to meet her even though it was just one time. She is in a better place now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. my deepest condolences to you and family. you'd always have all those memories in the frame of your mind.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know it is a sad time at her passing but as your Uncle said she has been released from her sickness & I can identify as my mother who passed in 2002 was released after a couple of weeks not knowing anyone and pretty much in a coma. My grandparents all passed when I was a teenager but I do have some of the same wonderful memories around them. She certainly was a beautiful 20 year old gal back then. Take care, say hi to Fidelia, Lauren & Leah for me, have a great weekend.
    Odie

    ReplyDelete
  5. So sorry to hear about your Grandma, Duncan. I'm sure your mum won't mind you using that picture. She was a lovely looking lady. Please accept my condolences.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My condolence, Duncan. My paternal grandma died when I was very young and I never got to meet my maternal grandma who was a Singaporean.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Duncan
    You have summed it up perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My condolences to you and your family..

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so sorry for your loss. I love the first picture of her! She looked like a cool, hip Grandma!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you all for your messages of love and support. Each one is much appreciated :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. My sincere condolences to you and your family. Beautiful tribute for a woman who seems everything but ordinary. May she rests in Peace.

    ReplyDelete
  12. My condolences to you and your family Duncan. Your Grandmother was from the same era as my Mum and I have similar photos of her at that age,so interesting how hairstyles and clothes can give a big clue to the date.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm sorry the death of his grandmother, nice pictures, her face betrays a great person. Greetings.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hej Duncan
    Nu var det länge sen jag var här. Jag har det ganska tufft just nu så detta får bli en snabb kommentar.
    Jag beklagar sorgen av din mormors bortgång.Det spelar ingen roll hur gammal eller ung en människa är den försvinner härifrån. Det är lika sorgligt. Saknaden är stor och tung.
    När jag läste att hon var 20 år 1949 då var hon precis 20 år äldre än mig för jag föddes 1949.
    Ha det riktigt gott trots sorgen.
    Kramizzzzz

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks once again for the messages of concern and kindness!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your thoughts, comments and opinions. I'll be responding soon! I will not be publishing anonymous comments so make sure you leave your name with your comment!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...